The Premier English dictionary from Collins is now available for FREE on Android!
A rich source of words for everyone who loves language, this free dictionary is both comprehensive and authoritative with its 123,000 words and 200,000 definitions based on the Collins Word Web - an unrivaled and constantly updated 2.5 billion-word database of today's English.
Inside, you'll find outstanding coverage of world, regional and dialect English, with definitions, examples, idioms and usage notes. Included are usage notes to give advice on using the right word in the right place, as well as thousands of etymologies that trace the roots of modern English.
Premium users looking for even better word coverage can upgrade their product to the largest single-volume English dictionary – the Collins English Dictionary Complete Unabridged (available as an in-app purchase), features over 722,000 words and phrases, audio pronunciations*, offline usage, and no ads.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
- A quick search of words while you type.
- A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
- A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
- A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
- Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* Audio pronunciations require an active internet connection.
- A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
- History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
- Discover more using the included special language notes.
- See words in context with example sentences.
- 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.